News from Lori's Parents
10 December 1998In this update:
- Lori's Solitary Confinement Continues Beyond Two Months
- "Celebrating" the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
- Rhoda to Address Ethical Humanist Society of Long Island
Lori's Solitary Confinement Continues Beyond Two Months
As of today, Lori has been in solitary confinement for 65 days -- "completely isolated from the world." This constitutes cruel and inhumane treatment and is a major abuse of her rights that cannot be tolerated.
"Celebrating" the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
Today marks the 50th anniversary of the United Nations' General Assembly adoption of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Both the governments of Perú and the U.S. are signatories. Of the 30 Articles in this Declaration, the following 9 clearly have been violated in Lori's case:
- Article 2 -- Lori has been singled out for unduly harsh treatment because of her nationality.
- Article 5 -- Lori has been subjected to psychological torture, cruel, inhuman and degrading punishment.
- Article 9 -- Lori was subjected to arbitrary detention.
- Article 10 -- Lori was denied a fair and public hearing by an independent and impartial tribunal.
- Article 11 -- Lori was denied the right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty according to law in a public trial with full guarantees necessary for defense.
- Article 12 -- Lori has been subjected to attacks on her honor and reputation without the opportunity to refute them or defend herself.
- Article 19 -- Lori has been denied the right to freedom of opinion and expression and to impart information and ideas through any media.
- Article 20 -- Lori has been denied the right of peaceful assembly and association.
- Article 28 -- Lori has been denied the right to live in a society in which the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration can be fully realized.
Rhoda to Address Ethical Humanist Society of Long Island
Sunday Platform: "Human Rights and U.S. Foreign Policy: The Lori Berenson Case"
Date: Sunday, December 13th
Time: 11:00 a.m.
Place: 38 Old Country Road, Garden City, NY
(Intersection of Herricks Road and Mineola Blvd. near the water tower)
The public is invited to attend.