News from Lori's Parents
17 January 2000
This is day 1,510 of Lori's wrongful incarceration.In this update:
- Hunger strike continues?
- Urgent Actions: Call "White House Hot Line" or e-mail -- "Free Fax" President
Hunger strike continues?
To our knowledge Lori now has spent 7 full days in her hunger protest. The State Department promised to update us on her condition tomorrow afternoon. As of Friday afternoon, after 4 days, Peruvian doctors informed the U.S. Embassy that she was fine, in good spirits, but a bit weakened.
Urgent Actions: Call "White House Hot Line" or e-mail -- "Free Fax" President
- Please call the White House Hot Line at 202-456-1111 and ask for a "hot line" operator. Deliver the message given below:
- Please send an e-mail to President Clinton delivering the message below. In the "To field" use the following e-mail address:
In the "Subject field" please type "Help Lori Berenson"
The e-mail will be converted to hard copy fax in the White House, free of charge.
Let President Clinton know that:
- Lori Berenson, a citizen of the United States, has been wrongfully incarcerated in Perú for four years under horrific conditons.
- In frustration, and despite her weakened health, Lori has been on a hunger strike to call attention to her dire situation.
- "Enough is enough!"
Urge President Clinton to secure Lori's release as required by Act of Congress 22 USC Section 1732 by employing all means necessary, short of going to war.
Remind President Clinton that 180 members of the House of Representatives urged him to take such actions last June, following the report from the United Nations High Commission on Human Rights which said that Lori is being "detained arbitrarily."